The 16 Area Groups organise monthly indoor meetings with invited speakers providing illustrated talks. The programmes for the next few months offer some tantalizing subjects: from wildlife in South Africa and Namibia to the landscape and history of the River Witham; from the flora of California to the wildflowers of the Grimsthorpe Estate near Bourne.
Everyone is welcome at these meetings, a small charge may be made and refreshments will be available. If you are interested in wildlife, joining your local Area Group is a great way to meet friendly-like minded people and learn more about the natural world.
Area Groups also organise guided walks and outings to nature reserves in Lincolnshire and further a-field; and they carry out vital fundraising supporting the conservation of wildlife throughout the county. Get involved by attending one of the monthly meetings in your local area.
Meetings of the Area Groups of the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust
Alford and Mablethorpe Area Group
Meetings at: Half Moon Hotel, West St, Alford 7.30pm
- Friday 12 February: California – flora of contrasts - Phil and Gwen Phillips.
- Monday 15 March: The Wolds Chalk Stream Project - Ian Rees
Barton Area Group
- Saturday 6 March: Morning nature walk at Far Ings Nature Reserve. Meet at Visitor Centre (TA018233) 9.30am
- Sunday 21 March: Field trip to Gibraltar Point National Nature Reserve. Meet Barton Market Place. 9am
Boston Area Group
Meetings at: Centenary Methodist Church Hall, Thorold St Boston. 7.30pm
- Friday 12 February: Willow Growing and Basket Making in Lincs & Notts - Rodney Cousins.
- Wednesday 10 March: AGM followed by illustrated talks on wildlife topics by several Area Group members.
Bourne Area Group
- Friday 19 February: World Class Bird Image - David Cromack with images from the International Wildbird Competitions 2003-05 at Methodist Church Hall, Bourne 7.30pm
- Friday 19 March: Life in the Darkness (an update) - John Jones at Methodist Church Hall, Bourne 7.30pm
- Saturday 20 March: Scottish Ceilidh at Carlby Village Hall near Bourne. 7pm - 11pm With Ian Slater, bring and share supper. Tickets £7 adults / £3 children. Book with Hazel Williams 01778 560417
Gainsborough Area Group
Meetings at: Morton Village Hall 7.30pm
- Wednesday 17 February: Whisby Nature Park, wildlife and management - Phil Porter
- Wednesday 17 March: Somewhere in Africa - Geoff Trinder
Grantham Area Group
Meetings at: Barkston and Syston Village Hall 7.30pm
- Friday 12 February: Life in Lincolnshire Rivers - Richard Chadd
- Friday 12 March: Life on the Verge - Mark Schofield, Limestone Grassland Project Officer
Grimsby and Cleethorpes Area Group
- Monday 8 February: Farming and Wildlife - Chris Dowse at Grimsby Town Hall 7.30pm
- Monday 8 March: Slugs workshop with Chris du Feu at Grimsby Town Hall 7.30pm
- Saturday 20 March: circular 4 mile walk at Wold Newton.
Park considerately in village and meet by phone box 1.30pm Grid Ref TF 243966, leader Clifford Jukes (01472 814887).
Horncastle and Woodhall Spa Area Group
Meetings at: Banovallum House, Horncastle 7.30pm
- Wednesday 17 February: History of the Witham - James Rackham.
- Wednesday 17 March: The first year at Willow Tree Fen - Marcus Craythorne.
Isle of Axholme Area Group
Meetings at: Haxey Methodist Church Hall, Low Street, Haxey 7.30pm
- Thursday 4 February: Members slide, print and digital evening
- Thursday 4 March: Pueblos, Petroglyphs and other things - Allan Rowsell
Lincoln Area Group
Meetings at: Whisby Nature Park 7.30pm
- Thursday 18 February: The Witham Fens and their Drainage - Dr Robert Wheeler
- Thursday 18 March: Life on the Verge - Mark Schofield
Louth Area Group
Meeting at: Conoco Room, Louth Library 7.30pm
- Friday 19 March: Bees and bee keeping – Fred Parker
Market Rasen Area Group
- Tuesday 9 February: Life in the Wash - Geof Lee at Walesby Village Hall 7.30pm
- Friday 26 March: Coastal Marshes and Seals - Rob Lidstone-Scott at Caistor Town Hall 7.30pm
Scunthorpe and Brigg Area Group
Meetings at: St Hugh’s Church Hall, Ashby Rd, Scunthorpe 7.30pm
- Thursday 11 February: Wildlife and spring flowers of South Africa and Namibia – Wayne Gillatt
- Thursday 11 March: British Mammals - John Lill
Sleaford Area Group
Meetings at: Sleaford High School 7.30pm
- Monday 8 February: Farming and Wildlife in Australia - Roger Wardle.
- Monday 8 March: Wildflowers of the Grimsthorpe estate - Chris Howes
South Holland Area Group
Meetings at Pinchbeck Village Hall 7.30pm
- Tuesday 9 February: Nature reserves of the Woodhall Spa area – Dave Bromwich
- Tuesday 9 March: The History of the Landscape of the River Witham - Mr D J Rackham
Spilsby Area Group
Meetings at: Franklin Hall, Spilsby 7.30pm
- Thursday 4 February: Bees and Beekeeping - Fred Parker.
- Thursday 18 February: Quiz. Franklin Hall, Spilsby. 7pm for 7.30pm. Teams of four at £2.50 per person.
Entry fee includes light refreshments.
Contact Denis Chandler on 01790 754486 or Jeff Forsyth on 01790 755690 for entry forms.
- Thursday 4 March: Wild Lincolnshire - Geoff Trinder.